Personnel manager is the head of a personnel department. He performs both managerial and operative functions of management. His role can be summarized as :
- Personnel manager provides assistance to top management- The top management are the people who decide and frame the primary policies of the concern. All kinds of policies related to personnel or workforce can be framed out effectively by the personnel manager.
- He advises the line manager as a staff specialist- Personnel manager acts as a staff advisor and assists the line managers in dealing with various personnel matters.
- As a counsellor,- As a counsellor, personnel manager attends problems and grievances of employees and guides them. He tries to solve them in best of his capacity.
- Personnel manager acts as a mediator- He is a linking pin between management and workers.
- He acts as a spokesman- Since he is in direct contact with the employees, he is required to act as representative of the organization in committees appointed by the government. He represents a company in training programmes.